Friday, April 09, 2004

I just found out that one of my friends from high school has skin cancer. It's in stage 4 and it has spread to his lymph nodes and beyond. He was one of my best Mormon friends. We lived about a block away from each other and spent quite a bit of time together during my Jr. and Sr. years of high school. We car pooled to volleyball practice quite a bit during those years. He was recently married and he has a wife who is six months pregnant with their first child.

I can't imagine what he is going through right now. I am hurt and confused right now. I bitch and moan about my finances a lot, but I try to keep a positive perspective about "the good things in life". I am healthy, I have a good support network of friends and family, and I don't have to worry about food or shelter. My friend just got his health snatched away. He may die soon. He's 24. I have seen death in my life, but always at a distance. The deaths of my grandparents in their old age were inevitabilities that didn't surprise me that much. I have have heard about and read about teens and young people dying before their time. But I haven't lost a friend yet.

I don't even know what to say to him. We haven't talked in over 5 years. I'm sure that we would hit it off if we ran into each other, but I'm just nervous about how to deal with this. Is it more loving of me to try to "evangelize" him while he is suffering at this time, or to pray hard and trust God to reveal Himself? Perhaps I can pray that God will lead me to evangelize him. I don't know. I'm still trying to deal with this.

No comments: